Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Start of Something New

Hello again! So I finally had a lesson in months and it went really well! The trainer I am now going to work with is amazing, I absolutely love her! First, I really liked how she taught, she was very direct and immediately told me what I was doing wrong and how to correct it. I really like this in a trainer, because I would rather have a person be blunt about something so I know immediately and can fix it. But she gave me really good explanations about what I should correct and why. So here is my homework that I need to improve on and show in my next lesson:
  1. My horse is moving off my leg when I press with my WHOLE inside leg, not just the heel
  2. My body should stop "pumping" and sit still
  3. Get a slower rhythm from my horse, forward doesn't mean fast
  4. Keep my hands up and especially during transitions
  5. Keep my hands still and my leg back and knees not pinching
So that's the list! And I know I can do it! I am really ready to pick up my horse's training where I left off in the summer, it feels amazing doing something right again! I haven't been excited about my lessons before so this is great!

So I rode the beast today and implemented all of those points and it really made a difference! I felt Sam moving off better and our canter departures were really strong and powerful, which was awesome! Even the barn owner came out and helped my a little to find my rhythm in the trot which was great because I love another set of eyes! So all in all it was a very rewarding experience and really influenced me to jump back and take riding seriously again and pursue a goal. So here is my goal, by my last year of college I plan to take my horse up to training level in eventing! It's a pretty big goal if you know us (Sam and I) but with my new trainer and my inspiration I believe we can make it! On another note I have a dressage lesson on Wednesday so that too will help me whip into shape : ) So long and try to have that great lesson because that makes all the difference!

No comments: